While many believe the travel agent to be a thing of the past, the truth is, travel agents are alive and well, and represent one out of every three travel bookings in the United States.
That said, today's travel advisor has undergone massive evolution, as new technologies have emerged and online travel agencies have commoditized much of the market.
Successful travel advisors combine the personalized service that consumers have come to love, with a number of useful apps and digital trip planning tools to stay ahead of the competition.
Here are the top ten tools used by today's connected travel advisor:
1. Duolingo - This free mobile app gamifies the lanuage learning process, making it fun and easy to learn new languages with bite-sized lessons and addictive challenges.
2. Google Translate - Google's free mobile translator app instantly translates between 103 languages by typing, 37 languages by taking pictures of text, and 32 languages via two-way instant speech translation.
3. HitList - This free mobile app that helps you find amazing flight deals. Simply enter in your home airport, where you want to go, and HitList will send you a push notification every time there is a great fare published.
4. Hootsuite - The leading social media dashboard on the market, Hootsuite saves you time by letting you schedule posts in advance and manage all of your social media marketing efforts from a single dashboard.
5. Mail Chimp - MailChimp is the world's leading email automation platform and offers tools to schedule email campaigns in advance, remove unsubscribed email addresses automatically, and gain insights into your open and click thru rates.
6. Mail Pound - This website provides travel agents with no-cost promotional materials such as eFlyers, digital brochures and videos, so that you can send customized offers to clients with just a few clicks of your mouse.
7. TripCase - This mobile itinerary management app from the global distribution giant, Sabre, gives travelers a single place to manage and organize all of their trips.
8. UMapped - Another itinerary management app that consolidates bookings, curated content, and real-time location data into a social and mobile tool for travelers.
9. WhatsApp - The world's messaging app, WhatsApp is used by more than 1 billion people in over 180 countries to stay in touch with friends and family, anytime and anywhere.
10. WordSwag - This font and typography generator app lets you create custom text layouts that would normally require full knowledge of Photoshop or similar photo and font-editing tools... and all in a matter of clicks.
Thinking about becoming a professional travel agent yourself?
Apply to one of our travel agent jobs now and if there is a strong fit, we'll be in touch to coordinate an interview!